Information Specialist / Outreach to Vietnamese Families
Parent Training and Information Center
Part-Time Position (32 hours / week)
Our Mission:The Federation for Children with Special Needs provides information, support, and assistance to all families, especially those with children with disabilities, their professional partners, and their communities. We are committed to listening to and learning from families, and encouraging full participation in community life by all people, especially those with disabilities.
Job Summary: Responsible for providing information, training, and support on special education law and related issues to underserved Vietnamese speaking families, youth with disabilities (YWD), professionals with whom they work, and the organizations that serve them across Massachusetts.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide accurate and timely information and referrals on special education and related matters by phone, email, and in-person to parents of children with disabilities, YWD, the professionals with whom they work, and the organizations that serve them across Massachusetts.
- Provide high quality follow-up written materials in response to requests for information.
- Conduct educational workshops on special education related issues in fluent Vietnamese.
- Conduct outreach to Vietnamese families, primarily in underserved communities, including through the use of radio, television, and social media.
- Develop and conduct regular support group meetings for native Vietnamese speaking parents and youth.
- Organize the New Year event for the community while promoting disability awareness within the Vietnamese community.
- Regularly input data required for grant purposes.
- Research and develop a personal knowledge of topics related to parent/family requests through continuing education, workshop attendance, personal contacts, Federation resources, the Internet, and other opportunities.
- Prepare and disseminate information packets and other materials at fairs and conferences to promote different Federation projects.
- Work collaboratively with other Federation staff on agency-wide projects, including the Federation’s Visions of Community Conference.
- Participate in projects and Federation staff meetings and activities.
- Perform other tasks assigned by Project Director.
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferred).
- Fluency in both English and Vietnamese languages.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of community outreach strategies and workshop training skills.
- Willingness to learn and grow.
- Ability to periodically travel in-state.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in fast-paced environment.
- Proficient PC-based computer skills including use of e-mail, internet, and willingness to learn data entry program. WordPress Skills are a plus.
To Apply: Interested applicants may send a resume and cover letter to Human Resources by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Federation for Children with Special Needs, The Schrafft Center, 529 Main Street, Suite 1M3, Boston, MA 02129.
Please Note: This position is part-time, 32 hours per week and is eligible for all employee benefits as determined by FCSN policies.
The Federation for Children with Special Needs (FCSN) embraces the diversity of our staff and is committed to increasing the diversity of our organization. As an EEO employer, FCSN is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and candidates for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other legally protected status or designation. Also, we welcome parents of children with special needs or those with a disability to apply!