Director of Finance
The Federation for Children with Special Needs provides information, support, and assistance to all families, especially those with children with disabilities, their professional partners, and their communities. We are committed to listening to and learning from families, and encouraging full participation in community life by all people, especially those with disabilities.
The Director of Finance is a principal financial officer of the Federation for Children with Special Needs. S/he is responsible for the financial management of the organization as well as oversight of agency business functions. S/he will be a strategic thought partner and will report to the Executive Director.
Essential Job Functions:
• Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly,
quarterly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments and grant reports, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
• Implement a robust contracts management, financial management and reporting system; ensure that
the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
• Ensure compliance with all federal rules and regulations according to OMB Circulars A-122, A-133 and A110, IRS regulations and general laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts including the following:
o Use of federal drawdown and state invoicing procedures.
o Submission of federal Indirect Cost Rate Proposal.
o Federal annual and project-end fiscal reports.
o Filing required federal and state tax forms (Form 990/MA-PC).
o Compliance with requirements for expense allocations.
• Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
• Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Executive Director; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
Director of Finance
• Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
• Provide staff support to Finance Committee of the Board of Directors.
General Business Administration
• Ensure adequate insurance coverage for agency liability and Board of Directors.
• Develop and implement purchasing policies and procedures in compliance with federal and state contracting requirements.
• Maintain employee work time allocation, reporting and accrued benefit time measures.
• Support payroll input and servicing requirements by payroll vendor.
• Implement employee benefit coverage for eligible staff. Support 403B benefit accounting and reporting.
• Perform other tasks and assume other responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
• Minimum BA degree, ideally with an MBA/CPA or related degree
• At least seven to 10 years of overall professional experience; ideally five-plus years of broad financial and operations management experience
• The ideal candidate will have had experience for the quality and content of financial data, reporting and audit coordination
• Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with — programmatic colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
• A track record in grants management
• Technology savvy; knowledge of accounting and reporting software
• A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
• Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
• A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of the Federation for Children with Special Needs.
Interested applicants can send a resume and cover letter to FCSN Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or, apply by mail to; Federation for Children with Special Needs, The Schrafft Center, 529 Main Street, Suite 1M3, Boston, MA 02129.
The Federation for Children with Special Needs (FCSN) embraces the diversity of our staff and is committed to increasing the diversity of our organization. As an EEO employer, FCSN is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and candidates for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other legally protected status or designation. Also, we welcome parents of children with special needs or those with a disability to apply!