- This event has passed.
Basic Rights – Transition Planning
July 27 @ 12:30 pm - 1:30 pmFree
Rebecca Davis, Transition Project Manager with FCSN, will provide information about rights, laws, and practices in transition planning and services. The following topics will be covered:
- Transition and the Law
- Understanding the legal rights to Transition
- The Importance of Transition
- School based planning
- Understanding the importance of the student’s involvement in creating a vision for a full life
- Creating a Transition Plan with the IEP Team (including the students
- Graduation and Adult Services
- Understanding the Age of Majority
- Discussing potential services and supports needed after transition
About the presenter:
Rebecca Davis recently joined the Federation as the new Transition Project Manager. Rebecca and her family relocated to Massachusetts a few years ago in search of better medical and educational resources for her youngest daughter, Eliza, who turned 15 in June. A former teacher, Rebecca has been an advocate for Eliza and other families of children with multiple disabilities and Cortical Visual Impairment for many years. She has presented at national and regional conferences for families, educators, and medical professionals about educational resources for children with multiple disabilities and support for their families. She obtained advocacy training through the Partners in Policymaking Program in Indianapolis, Indiana and co-founded Visually Impaired Preschool Services (VIPS) Indiana. Since moving to Massachusetts, Rebecca has worked with transition aged youth at Perkins School for the Blind. As both a parent and a professional, Rebecca fully embraces the Federation’s mission of helping youth with disabilities and their families navigate the transition to full and meaningful adult lives.