An important area of transition planning that often gets left out is thinking about healthcare. Making sure youth are healthy, have insurance and can advocate for their healthcare needs is essential in making sure youth can have a successful transition into the community. Explore these resources to think through healthcare planning:
Want to learn more about healthcare planning in Massachusetts?
1. Start with Mass Family Voices a grassroots organization of families, friends and professional partners brought together by a common concern for children and youth with special health care needs.
2. Use this health care transition planning guide to plan, connect, advocate and find information.
3. Explore the national resource on healthcare transition planning, Got Transition, which aims to improve the transition from pediatric to adult health care.
4. Think about health insurance and use the Massachusetts Health Connector to shop for affordable health and dental coverage.
5. Understand more about how to apply for Masshealth.
8. The Division of Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs through the Department of Public Health has a nice resource for understanding SSI benefits and healthcare coverage (PDF).
9. Use this step by step health care coverage guide by Exceptional Lives to learn more about accessing the right coverage.