What is Transition?
Transition planning is an on-going process that requires planning, skill development and building a network. The LINK Center assists families in connecting to the information and resources necessary for a successful transition.
Transition is about planning for life!
- academic and non-academic courses and learning experiences,
- employment and related training opportunities,
- community living, and leisure activities.
Transition Planning is:
- An on-going process
- Starts at age 14 in Massachusetts
- Experiences both in school and in the community
- Helps define direction/vision
- Opportunity to develop skills
Focus on the youth’s strengths, preferences, and interests; and includes—
- Related services;
- Community experiences;
- The development of employment and other post-school adult living objectives; and if appropriate, acquisition of daily living skills and provision of a functional vocational evaluation.
Building a Network
- Post-secondary connections
- Adult service agencies
- Recreation and leisure
- Decision making