What is WIOA?
The Workforce Innovation Opportunity Act
Job seekers with and without disabilities may receive and benefit from job search and placement assistance, career counseling, skills training, and other supportive services
- Enacted July 22, 2014
- Effective July 1, 2015
- Reauthorized the Workforce Investment Act of 1998 and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
The impact on transition:
- 75% of the youth funds must be spent on out of school youth
- At least 20% of local youth funds must be used for work experiences such as summer jobs, on the job training and internships
- 15% of state vocational rehabilitation allotment
Changes in Programming: Pre-Employment Transition Services
Vocational rehabilitation agencies and school districts need to coordinate
- Services availbale:
- Job exploration counseling
- Work-based learning experiences
- Counseling on post-secondary education opportunities
- Workplace readiness training
- Instruction in self-advocacy
1. Learn what WIOA means for people with disabilities.
2. Look into how WIOA changes impact youth programs.
3. Learn more about what WIOA means for young adults with serious mental health issues.
4. Find out more about Pre-Employment Transition Services.