Many SEPACs host community resource fairs to help families connect to local special education resources. These resource fairs can be local or regional (a collaborative project among several school districts). These can also be fun events with activities for children (face painting, crafts) and an opportunity for parents to meet other parents. MassPAC travels to many communities during the year to staff FCSN information tables at SEPAC Resource Fairs. The Federation table includes information on all of the Federation projects and will be staffed by MassPAC or a staff member from one of the Federation’s projects.
Sample FCSN resource fair handouts could include:
- PTI brochure with information on how to contact our free Call Center
- MA Family Voices – how to access MassHealth
- Family Ties of MA information – how to connect to the Parent-to-Parent program for support
- Information on how to become a Special Education Surrogate Parent
- Post-secondary Transition brochures on a variety of topics; and
- Information on how to select a Parent Advocate.
Several of FCSN’s resource materials are available in Spanish, Portuguese, Vietnamese, Chinese and Haitian Creole.
Your SEPAC Resource Fair information can be shared on the MassPAC Listserve or the MassPAC Facebook page. Please let MassPAC know as early as possible in the school year if your SEPAC will be having a Resource Fair so we can find a staff member to attend your event!