Parents share their stories about finding the right educational placement for their child – whether that turned out to be a public school general education classroom with added services, a special education private day school, or residential school. Identifying information has been changed to protect families’ privacy. Stories will include 6 topics:
- Child/family background information
- How the placement occurred
- Challenges of the placement
- Benefits of the placement
- How parents coped
- Advice for other parents
Select the story you’d like to read by clicking the matching tab in the sidebar on the left of side of this page.
- Parent Story 1: “Brady” – A child with severe autism began residential school at a young age.
- Parent Story 2: “Jackson” – A single mother of a 9-year-old boy with autism works with her son’s public school team to negotiate a special education private day school placement.
- Parent Story 3: “Connor” – The family of a 13-year-old boy with psychiatric difficulties and Autism search for an appropriate placement.
- Parent Story 4: “Nico” – “Nico”, a 12-year-old boy with a mood disorder and mild autism spectrum disorder, received a range of placements for his complex challenges