About Private Placements
Most special education private schools are approved by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE).
Schools can be geared toward children with a certain disability, or offer a particular educational or therapeutic approach (e.g., Applied Behavior Analysis for autism, Orton Gillingham for dyslexia).
The following websites provide information on both day and residential schools:
- DESE website; lists 114 approved schools
- MAAPS: (Massachusetts Association for Chapter 766 Approved Private Schools; lists all 87 member schools and the students they serve).
- SPAN (Special Needs Advocacy Network)
- National Association of Private Special Education Centers, NAPSEC or call (202) 434-8225
- Mass Organization of Educational Collaboratives
- Alternative Education schools