Parent Consultant Training Institute (PCTI)
The Parent Consultant Training Institute (PCTI) is an intensive training program designed to provide military-connected and civilian parents and professionals with a solid foundation in special education laws, procedures, and related subjects. Class size is limited, so register early! The training consists of 40-54 hours of classroom instruction and includes topics such as:
- Basic Rights in Special Education
- IDEA and MGL c 71B legislative history
- Special Education advocacy and implementation of the law
- Writing Measurable IEP Goals
- Effective Progress and Hot Topics
- Neuropsychological Evaluations
- Academic Evaluations
- Discipline and Suspension
- Introduction to the Transition Planning Process
- Transition Assessments
- Section 504
- Families and Culture
- Effective Communication
- Problem Resolution Service (PRS) Complaints
- BSEA Appeals
Presenters include Federation staff, attorneys, and experts in the field of special education, representatives from the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) and the Bureau of Special Education Appeals (BSEA), among others.
Upon completion of the classroom component, students participate in an optional internship program.
We recommend that PCTI attendees have some familiarity with special education procedures. A list of free workshops presented by the Federation can be found here.
Registration for PCTI is currently closed. PCTI dates and locations for the 2019-2020 school year will be published on this page in late August.