Parent Consultant Training Institute (PCTI)
The Parent Consultant Training Institute (PCTI) is an intensive training program designed to provide all parents and professionals with a solid foundation in special education laws, procedures, and related subjects. Class size is limited, so register early! The training generally consists of 40-54 hours of instruction and includes topics such as:
- Basic Rights in Special Education
- IDEA and MGL c 71B legislative history
- Special Education advocacy and implementation of the law
- Writing Measurable IEP Goals
- Effective Progress and Hot Topics
- Neuropsychological Evaluations
- Academic Evaluations
- Discipline and Suspension
- Introduction to the Transition Planning Process
- Transition Assessments
- Section 504
- Families and Culture
- Effective Communication
- Problem Resolution Service (PRS) Complaints
- BSEA Appeals
Examples of presenters can include Federation staff, attorneys, and experts in the field of special education, representatives from the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) and the Bureau of Special Education Appeals (BSEA), among others.
Prior to the current pandemic, students participated in an optional internship program. However, this component is currently being revised to best reflect the health safety needs of participants and mentors.
We recommend that PCTI attendees have some familiarity with special education procedures. A list of free workshops presented by the Federation can be found here.
Details about Summer 2021 PCTI Sessions
(Registration CLOSED) PCTI Summer 2021 5-Day Intensive Dates : June 21 – 25, 2021, Monday – Friday 9:00 AM – 3:30 PM
PCTI Summer 2021 Asynchronous Dates: July 7 – August 2, 2021