Parent and Caregiver Perspectives on Career, Vocational and Technical Education
During the month of October 2021, FCSN organized multi-language surveys, focus groups, and interviews to hear from families from around the state.
The goals of our information gathering were to:
- Understand the level of awareness about these schools and programs
- Solicit input into messaging and information channels for increasing awareness
- Gather feedback and suggestions to enhance the Massachusetts School Finder
FCSN family engagement specialists worked with cultural brokers hired specifically for this project due to their relationships with language groups and geographic communities we’re working to reach. What we learned will help our work with DESE to enhance and develop new resources for families and students.
- Summary: Arabic | Chinese | English | Haitian Creole | Portuguese | Russian | Spanish | Vietnamese |
- Full Report: Google Docs | PDF
In February 2022, we hosted formal sessions in six languages, presenting key concepts, graphics, and terminology used in family-facing resource materials developed in part through this project. It also included a walk-through of two online tools: DESE Family Portal and the Massachusetts School Finder. Finally, we shared shared content developed by the SOFE project for the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education website. All of these resources are human-translated, with updates and enhancements developed in response to parent/caregiver concerns shared through the SOFE Project.