- This event has passed.
RTSC Monthly Webinar: Supporting LGBTQ Youth
February 22 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
An Act Relative to Gender Identity, which became effective in 2012, protects students from discrimination based on gender identity, as well as sexual orientation. This session will review the laws, policies, resources, and best practices for supporting lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, non-binary, queer, and questioning students.
By the end of this workshop, participants will:
- Build confidence and be able to articulate LGBTQ terms and definitions;
- Understand the experiences of LGBTQ students and families;
- Have reviewed DESE policy guidance as it relates to students, families and staff;
- Be aware of the factors that promote resilience and positive outcomes for LGBTQ students; and
- Have a plan to use the content learned
About the Presenter:
Landon Callahan is a transgender activist who has worked with the Safe Schools Program for LGBTQ Students for the last 7 years. In addition to his work with elementary, middle, and high schools, Landon has also been involved in policy and curriculum development. Landon is involved in local and national politics as it relates to transgender rights. In 2016, he met with Massachusetts Speaker of the House to discuss public accommodations for transgender people, and was also interviewed by the United States Department of Justice when President Obama issued guidance on transgender student rights. Landon has been featured in Rolling Stone magazine, The Boston Globe, and The New York Times. In 2021, Landon graduated Fitchburg State University with a BS in Professional Communications and a minor in Political Science.