News & Happenings
Career, vocational and technical education provides a great entry-point for college and high-paying careers. Yet, not all students and families are aware of these benefits.
Supported by funding from the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, FCSN is coordinating a statewide effort to develop parent-friendly, language-accessible information about vocational, career and technical education programs in Massachusetts. The Secondary Options Family Engagement Project (SOFE) is working to:
- Gather feedback to enhance the DESE School Finder Tool. Students and families can use School Finder to search for all high school offerings in their local and regional areas, including career, vocational and technical education.
- Increase family awareness the programs offered across the state, working in partnership with schools and community organizations.
Vocational Education Survey
Help SOFE gather parent perspectives on the information available about career, vocational and technical education. Spread the word about our survey by copying the translated information from our survey page and sharing the survey link with families in your community. Click here to view the survey page
The Federation is organizing focus groups with families from across the state, in many different languages. Our goal is to gather feedback on the School Finder website and hear a sampling of diverse perspectives on the topic of vocational education. More focus groups will be added soon. These meetings are not open to the public but if you would like to join the conversation, please contact us!
- Bilingual and English-speaking family engagement specialists (Thursday, September 16)
- Chinese Speakers from Western MA and Greater Boston (Tuesday, October 5)
- English Speakers from Cape Cod (Thursday, October 7)
- Spanish Speakers – Statewide (Thursday, October 7)
- Portuguese Speakers – Cape Cod (Friday, October 8)
- Spanish Speakers (Wednesday, October 13)
- Spanish Speakers – Pittsfield Area (Thursday, October 14)
- Bilingual and English Speakers – Brockton (Saturday, October 16)